What do I do if have been injured on the job?

Your first step should be to report your injury to your employer as soon as possible after your injury. You should be told who receives your report: your supervisor, your foreperson, or your employer’s human resource office.

Although the law calls for written notification, as a practical matter, usually a verbal report is all you need to make, and the report does not have to be followed up in writing. Notification must be given within thirty days so if you have any questions about whether your employer is taking the appropriate measures or whether an exception applies, consult a lawyer immediately. If you are in need of medical care or treatment, you should see a workers compensation coded doctor of your choice as soon as possible, advising the doctor that you have a job-related condition or injury.